Friday, November 20, 2009

Where's Your Happy Place?

Mine is a collage of scenes from films, books, pictures, songs, and real places I been, seen, heard, and touched. 

 

The home is from A Love Song For Bobby Long.  It’s got a front porch with rocking chairs to sit in while it rains or snows.  It has windows from the floor to the ceiling that let in murky, milky light filled with dust motes.  The walls are weathered blue and melon, with yellowed posters of anatomy and ecology hanging over exposed brick and beam. 

 

The driveway is from Prodigal Summer, with old growth deciduous and coniferous trees bowing heavily over a gravel road.  The garden has an old pedestal sink with flowers spilling over the sides, weeds growing over hatched windows, and netting to keep the birds and rabbits away.

 

Our family vacations are from pictures of the Grand Tetons, Glacier, Jasper, and Yellowstone.  As we hike, ski, or snowshoe up wooded switch backs, through alpine meadows, and along stunning vistas, we pass amarillo yarrow, Indian paintbrush, hoarfrost and glittering rabbit tracks. 

 

My soundtrack is from Bon Iver and Sun Kil Moon – sad songs that remind me of snowy or rainy days, windows with lace curtains, and hot peppermint tea.

 

I’ve been spending a lot of time in my happy place recently.  Suffice it to say that New Orleans has precious little in common with the diaphanous, snowy fields of my dreams.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, we had a little happy place action, didn't we:) Arkansas was fabulous - a real surprise to me. New Orleans is, as we say in the Midwest, . . . interesting.

    I thought I saw a happy place in one of the Finland posters . . . .

    Keep writing - I'm loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I have begun to look forward to your writings. What's the deal? Were the first ones free and now I have to pay:)

    Just good-natured ribbing, El. Write when you find time. I/We really enjoy reading what you write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happens when a carpetbagger goes home?

    ReplyDelete