Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fruit of the...

Joshua suggested that I entitle this post, "Fruit of the Womb," but I don't think I can do it. It's just too too, you know?

Another thing that would be just too too would be growing belly pictures, but here you are. It may not look like much, but my eyes bug out just about as much as my belly when I turn sideways in the mirror. You might not be able to tell, but I can :)
Papa Tim and Grammy Joette, excited grandparents to be, sent us a couple of onesies after their visit to New Orleans. We're happy to say that the very first "baby things" in the house were gifts from Dirty Coast (http://www.dirtycoast.com/), and are suitably unconventional :)
As for our very first "baby things" purchase, it occurred spontaneously on Friday morning before work when we were picking up treats for our students at Safeway. They had a display for Halloween, and as we walked by the spread of witches' hats and bags of candy, I spied a baby banana. That's right. A banana baby costume. It was so whimsical and impractical and perfect that I couldn't go through the check out without buying it.

As I was confessing to Joshua my need to succumb to this particular impulse buy, he fingered through the bin next to the banana baby costume and spied something he couldn't go through the check out without buying. A baby pea pod. That's right. A pea pod baby costume.
It felt a little ridiculous to spend 32 dollars in the checkout at Safeway on baby costumes when I'm only 16 weeks pregnant, but I don't think either of us could have been more pleased with our first "baby things" purchase. "Besides," I said, "I'm growing kind of attached to the notion of our baby following the produce section week by week. We may as well carry on the tradition once the baby is born."

4 comments:

  1. I do like the banana and pea pod costumes. Fun stuff:)

    We have a crib that Hannah slept in as a child. It is in the rafters, and Lord knows how many pieces might be missing. Would you guys be interested?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, thanks for publishing the requested belly photographs:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does the peapod have ears? Is the banana pulling on those orange emergency inflatable tabs that are hiding underneath your seat in an airplane?

    Loves it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Ellie. I still haven't managed to get an email when you post but luckily Dad tells me which is almost as good but not quite as instantaneous. So much fun to hear your adventures in baby shopping. Baby clothes and baby stuff is just great partly because we somehow get permission to buy things that are not entirely practical and functional. It's part of the point, I think. Speaking of which, the crib Dad mentions above in our rafters is not Hannah's but was yours when you were a baby. It might be nice to have since it was yours but I'm reasonably sure safety regulations have changed since you were born and it might not be up to code. Do you want it anyway? As a planter maybe? Just kidding. we can bring it at Thanksgiving if you like. I love you! Mandy

    ReplyDelete