Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Poems from S. Alternative School

A poem I wrote for sweet T. One day, I was sitting on the desk lecturing, and the sun was in my face. I considered moving, but the classroom was cold, and the sun felt warm. After a couple minutes, T. put her hand in front of her face and said, "Ms. Kuhne, the light be bouncin' off you and hurtin' my eyes!" I laughed, and asked her if she was calling me white:

I came here, new.
Shining so bright, so white,
It hurt their eyes.

A poem I wrote about a classroom in S. Alternative School. I came home every day coated in chalk:

A podium of milk crates.
Pencils, everywhere pencils.
Air thick with the dust
of Sea Creatures.

Pretty self-explanatory. How I felt about the Bayou last year:

Bayou knows no gravity;
It rises, thick and wet
to pull me under.

1 comment:

  1. Nice moments. I like all of them, but I especially like the first and the last one. Are you striving for that haiku vibe? :) Good stuff. Keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete