Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My Home On My Back

Our flight leaves at 935 tomorrow morning!

It's crazy to think that we've only been home for 10 days... When we look at our itinerary, we see sets of five and 10 days, and we wonder if it will be enough time to see a family member, hike a mountain, or get to know a little village. In comparison to our 180 day journey, these numbers seem insignificant, but when I look back at the roomy, lived-in feel of each day that's passed, I can't help but feeling that we have nothing but time, and none of it's rushed. We have hours to walk through towns, to sit and eat, to talk and read and write. Take away teaching, the measure of a work day, and a Monday through Friday cycle, and some people might grasp at the edges or look for fillers. I settle in. I like my time to pass by slowly.

That said, I feel as though we've already begun. Although we've yet to set foot on a plane or foreign soil, I already have a crick in my back from the unfamiliar futons and mattresses in my parents' homes. I'm living out of my backpack, and I've already gotten lazy: rather than dig through the depths of my bag, I wear the same outfit over and over again. My diet has changed, and I've already had a bout of upset stomach. We've gotten creative with our workouts: walks, bikerides, and little runs in 30 minute intervals with different partners.

In the past few days, I have had a few pre-trip jitters. I'm nervous about our large carry-on luggage and the specially requested liter of highly flammable rum making it through security, not to mention a transatlantic flight. Crick in the back withstanding, I look at our full-size mattress with reverence it deserves: I know its origins; I know when last the bedding was washed; and I know the four walls it lies within. I'm already missing Oscar and Thibodeaux, and our parents' anxious good-byes tell me, yet again, that I am going into the unknown, and it will be some time before I am back. Part of the adventure is leaving behind the steady, sturdy pace of the familiar and subjecting yourself to uncertainty. I love it, but that doesn't mean that I don't also feel the looming loss of comfort.

So, as my dad said, this is a bit like Purgatory. We've already begun, and yet these jitters won't have departed until we are in the air.

For now, Joshua and I are perusing the shelves of Half Price Books for the three perfect novels. We've made two visits to REI, and both times I resisted the seductive allure of Nike fitted vapor-wick in mint, bubblegum, and plum. We've made three visits to Target and two to Walgreens. Our toiletry bag has been upgraded and streamlined. I have new socks. Josh has new boxers. Our English family have uniquely Minnesotan gifts. Each purchase is carefully considered, but despite our restraint, I avoid the checkout counters.

In between our errands, Joshua and I have took Hannah on a couple of stick shift driving lessons. After months of laborious lessons in Caitlin's Toyota Camry, I expected the shuddering starts and fits that comes from getting to know a clutch. Turns out, Hannah's a stick shift driving savant. She killed it twice, but one doesn't count because I made her let go of the clutch just to see what happens. Unfortunately, talent and enjoyment don't always go hand in hand. I'm afraid Hannah is less than enamored with the whole experience.

In another nerve-wracking adventure, Joshua and I tried out the tandem bicycle. I think I burned 600 calories just from clutching the handlebars and watching my life flash before my eyes. Half way through the ride, Dad and Mandy took pity on me, and we traded bicycles. I don't think we'll be buying a tandem any time soon.

So tonight we'll try to sleep, and tomorrow we'll fly to Houston and then on to London. Our adventure begins upon our arrival in Heathrow, when we'll have to navigate our way through planes, trains, and automobiles with two heavy bike boxes and all our luggage to Greenwich, where David and Rosemary live. Wish us luck.

Ellie' Backpack:

1 Tank Top (Cotton)
2 T-Shirts (Cotton; 1 cute; 1 sporty)
2 Bike Shirts (Those fancy numbers with vapor-wicking fabric and lots of pockets)
2 Bike Shorts
1 Long Sleeved Shirt (Vapor-Wicking)
1 3/4 Zip-Up Shirt (Patagonia Vapor-Wicking)
1 Fleece Jacket (REI Zip-Up)
1 Pair of Rain Pants (Cheapie Sierra Designs)
1 Pair of Zip-Off Pants (Fancy North Face with three lengths: full, 3/4, and zip off shorts)
1 Pair of Leggings (Synthetic Fiber)
1 Skirt
1 Pair of Running Shorts
1 Pair of Boxers (For sleeping in.)
2 Sports Bras
1 Swimsuit
5 Undies
2 Pairs of Running Socks
3 Pairs of Hiking Socks
1 Hat
1 Pair of Gloves
1 Pair of Sandals (Chacos!)
1 Pair of Hiking Boots
1 Pair of Running Shoes
3 Novels
3 Lonely Planets (India, Nepal, and Trek Nepal)
1 Head Lamp
1 Padlock
1 Pair of Sunglasses
1 Small Notebook
1 Camera
1 Small Laptop
1 Extra Battery
1 Sleeping Pad
1 Sleeping Bag
1 Travel Pillow
Passport
Copy of Passport
India Visa
Extra Passport Photos
Copy of Marriage License
1 Travel Towel
1 First-Aid and Toiletry Kit
  • 1 Travel Size Bottle (TSB) of Shampoo
  • 1 TSB of Conditioner
  • 1 TSB of Lotion
  • 1 TSB of Body Wash
  • 1 Bar of Soap
  • 2 Tiny Deodorants
  • 2 Toothbrushes
  • 1 TSB of Toothpaste
  • 1 Bottle of Sunscreen (30 SPF)
  • Tube of Mascara and Eyeliner
  • Blush
  • Anti-Itch Cream
  • Bug Spray
  • Imodium
  • Anti-Fungal
  • Anti-Parasitic
  • Anti-Biotic
  • Anti-Histamine
  • Dramamine
  • Band-aids
  • Tweezers
  • Iodine
  • Ibuprofen
  • Acetaminophen
Joshua's Backpack:

1 Vapor-Wicking T-Shirt
2 Long Sleeve Vapor -Wicking Shirts
1 Fleece
1 Rain Jacket
1 Wind Breaker
1 Hat
1 Pair of Gloves
1 Pair of Liners
1 Button-Up Shirt
1 Pair of Zip-Off Pants
1 Pair of Spandex
1 Pair of Running Shorts
1 Pair of Rain Pants
2 Boxers
2 Bike Shorts
2 Bike Shirts
Lots of Socks
2 Lonely Planet Travel Books (Cycle Britain and Great Britain)
4 Novels
1 Sleeping Pad
1 Sleeping Bag
1 Travel Pillow
1 Pair of Keen Clip-In Bike Sandals
1 Pair of Hiking Boots
1 Pair of Flip Flops
1 Pair of Running Shoes
1 Two-Person Tent
Passport
Credit Card
India Visa
Camping and Caravaning Membership
1 Notebook
1 Travel Towel

Bike Gear:

2 Helmets
2 Bikes
2 Sets of Panniers
1 Allen Wrench
2 Handle-Bar Bags
1 Seat Bag
Lights
Patch Kits
Allen Wrench
Mini Bike Pump
Tire Levers
Four Water Bottles

5 comments:

  1. OH! AND LOTS OF GIFTS FOR FAMILY ABROAD... AND MY ARTY CALLING CARDS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came from the airport, folks (8:00am, Thursday, 24 June). Joshua was completely calm and reassuring; Ellie was fretting over her backpack: would it pass as carry-on or would she have to check it. Joshua told her, "if that's your biggest worry this morning, we're doing fine."

    Of course, that got me thinking about the other, more practical worries that should be consuming her thoughts (and mind):)

    I never saw a tense exchange between the two of them until Ellie wanted to grab a hardcover book to take with her. Evidently, hardcover books - instead of paperback books - were verboten.

    So I left them curbside with two bike boxes, two massive backpacks, . . . and a hardcover book in hand.

    God speed, guys. Can't wait to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie I know you and Josh are just starting your official journey, but every time I read your blog I feel that you see all of the moments of your life as a journey and I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading about it. I eagerly await hearing about your travels and experiences. As Robert De Niro says, "You've got a gift my friend!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, so you're on your way, with a little piece of my heart flying off with you. I told you Ellie that it's so much easier on my often-anxious spirit to know you're starting out in my home territory. I can easily picture your arrival at Heathrow, bike assembly included, and your journey as you wind your way through the Surrey country roads. You go from us on the wings of prayers and blessings and love--as well as the more pratical metal of the airplane. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of your sweet well-wishes... Hope you like my next installment, and I promise there's a bit more poetry to come. Finding time to write in the midst of visiting is a bit difficult, but I'm going to have loads of time when we're biking. More anecdotes then. Love you all. E.

    ReplyDelete