Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Risky Business

I bought these little rawhide cigarillos, and Oscar has one hanging out of his mouth. It's been stuck there unmoving for so long that I went over to see if it was stuck in his teeth. Nope. At first he wouldn't let me pull it out, and then when he did, I realized that the thing was still whole. He looks a bit like an old silver screen actor, puffing with no hands. He's a classy man. No feverish chewing and hoarding. He's calm and collected, just having a little smoke break.

I spent the day cleaning about the house and getting rid of unwanted items, and I posted the following ads on craigslist:

School and Office Supplies

For those of you still fighting the good fight, I have four or five boxes of notebooks, books, binders, and school/office supplies. The notebooks are untagged and in good condition. The binders are assorted and ward sign free. The books include penguin classics and GEE test prep. Come get it, quick!

Kitchen Essentials

I've got a set of Pfaltzgraff Dinnerware, and I'll give you all of it. Come get it, quick!

Pantry Foodstuffs

For all you enterprising craigslisters: I've got a box of sugar, flour, cornmeal, etc. It's sitting on the front stoop, and it's first come, first serve.

Within two hours, I had fourteen calls and everything was gone. Do these people have craigslist text them as soon as something free goes up? I had no idea that there are so many people trolling the free section of craigslist on any given Wednesday at 11 o'clock in the morning. There was Maudette, grandmother of three from Metairie, who called and offered to take it all: "You are the author of all three postings, aren't you?" she said. Then, Crystal and her boyfriend who was the spitting image of Sean White, called and requested the school supplies for a summer camp running out of the Iberville project. CeCe called for the penguin classics. She's a tutor and oh-so-sad to hear that I'll be leaving the Recovery School District. "But don't you like working with at-risk youth?" she said. "My students were a little beyond 'at-risk,'" I said. "They were more risky."

Mandy has asked for more about New Orleans, and I have a little plan cooked up: tomorrow I'm going to ride about the city and make a photo journal to blog about. What else would you like to hear about? I might have enough distance to write about my students. I could do school stories or city stories... Give me a prompt, and I'll give you a blog! (That has more substance than this one, or at least a main idea.)

2 comments:

  1. My personal theory is that Craigslist is so popular because we have no middle class. Everyone's trying to squeeze the last penny out of their overpriced junk or score something cheap. There's so little bring-it-to-the-Goodwill mentality. That's also why when you put something on the curb it's gone in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I bet that some people are alerted the minute a craigslist posting occurs within, say, 10 miles of their address through an RSS aggregator. Have you thought about creating an RSS newsfeed for your blog? That way, whenever you post something, people who aggregate their favorite blogs (such as this most excellent blog) would know. I can show you how to do this.

    ReplyDelete