Monday, April 25, 2011

Dining Room

The images below are of our dining room. Somehow, I figured out how to post the 'before' photos first :)


Two lovely south-facing windows. Also facing our neighbors' soon-to-be addition.


View of dining room from front living room. Oscar looks proprietary already :)


Built-in stocked with my sewing stuff on bottom, our Society Eggplant Sango collection in the middle, and my retro kitchen finds from thrift stores on top.


I can't decide which is my favorite feature in this room: Joshua recovered antique chairs with traffic-cone orange fabric that once provided the material for a dress I had never worn. We stripped, stained, and poly-acrylic-ed this wobbly table, and then Joshua reinforced it with a serious number of L-brackets. The tablecloths are another thrift store find, and yes, the one on bottom is hot orange-pink. Just behind the table sits our repainted desk with my favorite lamp of all time, and above, we've hung the gorgeous embroidered pashmina which was purchased in Leh, Ladakh, but made in Kashmir. Short, lace curtains on windows from thrift store.


Our black-and-white photo collection with my favorite Wyeth print, a picture of a toddling Mandy (from when I scoured old photo with Grandma Vivienne, and an image of the ship that Joshua's Papa BJ sailed on when he was in the navy.

The dresser is a cheapy thrift-store find which I repainted and now houses all of my crafty things, and above, our prized Grandfather clock from Joshua's grandparents.


Bookcase as art :) We salvaged these ratty bookcases and painted them blue to match our accent wall. (We purchased the paint second-hand from the Habitat for Humanity Restore - 4 bucks!)


View of it all from the kitchen hall.


View of it all from the front living room. Oscar's second favorite spot in the house :)

3 comments:

  1. I love everything! Especially the bookcase; we've been looking for something like this for a while now, but it's tough to find niceish looking used goods around here.

    How are the photos above the doorway strung together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad you like it :) You should come and visit :) No worries about X-mas break: I hope you are ok! As for the nifty photo string: our landlords in New Orleans brought it back from Korea. I think you might be able to make it though. It's mostly twine with little mini clothes-pegs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it and already want to visit and/or permanently move in next door. Nice white trim by the way ;)

    ReplyDelete