Saturday, June 18, 2011

Pin-Tucks and Zippers

Here's my dress for my brother, Eamon's bar mitzvah. I picked out the fabric and pattern this winter, but after I cut out the fabric, I was paralyzed with fear and moved not further. This week, I pulled out the sewing machine and got to work. It's not finished (it still needs a hem and sleeves), but this photos shows you the zipper (which gave me nightmares). I've never attached a zipperfoot or put a zipper into anything before, but here's my first attempt, and it looks pretty good!

Front view of pin-tucks, pockets, and bodice darts.

I'm making the one in the middle with the short sleeves.

These are some of the vintage patterns I found at the Salvation Army in Red Wing. I absolutely adore the one in the upper right hand corner.


I've been crafty too! Kyle's mom, Gaylynn, was visiting Kyle and Stacy for the past couple of weeks, and she's a master seamstress. We went to Hancock Fabrics, and I went a little crazy finding fabric for some of the vintage patterns that I had bought on the cheap from the Salvation Army in Red Wing. In the picture above, I've arranged the fabrics I bought and the patterns I intend to use. I'm going to make a couple shirts with the tangerine fabric, the short short sleeved dress with the black and white and magenta fabric, and a skirt with the magenta and ochre fabric. Someday. Hopefully. One at a time.

Although I wasn't able to finagle a private lesson, Gaylynn did give me a bunch of tips, and I've been inspired to complete a dress that I started this winter. I haven't finished yet, but I've posted the photos of the half-finished product :)

1 comment:

  1. You guys are a couple of DIY fanatics, aren't you? How much fun. I can't wait to come to Denver and see what the two of you have wrought.

    ReplyDelete