Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Unspeakable Amounts of Greens and La Falda Ora

Here are a few images of my most recent sewing adventure, Simplicity Pattern 2226. I chose an ochre/gold polyester fabric with crimples (not a real word, but one that I believe should be added to our vocabulary). This is version C of the skirt.
Cute pockets. And, unlike the yoke, which was a slippery little sucker, they were fun to sew.
Miss 2226 is supposed to sit at my waistline. I measured and decided I was a size 10. Finished product sits about four inches below my waistline. I think I've done something wrong.
You can't tell, but this zipper adventure did not go nearly as well as my first zipper adventure. (At the bottom of the zipper, there was much sailor-cussing, seam ripping, re-sewing, seam ripping again, and finally, a needle and thread to soldier in the sucker.) On the pattern it's supposed to be hidden, but oh well. I still love it.

Josh asks, "how much does it cost to make a skirt like that?"

My response, "well, it's no skirt from Goodwill, if that's what you're asking."

Fabric: $3.99 a yard, on clearance. 2 yards.
Notions: $1 zipper, $1 gold thread.
Pattern: $9.95 on sale.
Labor: 2 hours of cutting (while watching trash TV. I refuse to tell you what show it was, and I have Joshua sworn to secrecy.) 6 hours of pinning, sewing, etc. 8 total hours of cussery (also not a word) and joy :)

As we were backpacking, I was fantasizing about sewing. My first completed project, the 50s Housewife Dress, gave a me such buzz, and I was tweaking for another fix. However, apparently sewing is a bit like heroine, and just as I snipped my last thread on the skirt, I was already scheming my next project. It's time to break out the vintage patterns!

In other news, I have conquered Weed Invasion 2011. It took me 8 hours and a sunburn, but now we can see our sprouting rows of winter veggies. The tomatoes have politely seceded their burgeoning monopoly and additional branches have been tied to the trellis.

And the greens! We've been having salad for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and I shall never grow sick of peppery mustard greens and mesclun. Delish :)

3 comments:

  1. There is no way you are a size ten! - unless you're going by UK sizing, then maaaaybe.

    I really love this skirt, it makes me want to get back into sewing again; thank you for all this sewing inspiration. OOoh, and I hope the trash tv you were watching was The Bachelorette! It's so bad it's........... still bad! And I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But they're vintage sizes! Sewing sizes! It's a mystery! I think, finally, I have arrived at my own conversion system: if you wear a U.S. size 2, you are a sewing size 8 (which is what I think I am). 4 is a 10, 6 is a 12, and so on...

    As for the T.V. show, my lips are sealed (except to say that we might be sisters from another mother).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your paternal grandmothers and great-grandmothers were seamstresses. They would sew and stitch and drink coffee and talk. My mom had her sewing machine in her bedroom, and when it was too hot to do anything else, she would sit in her bedroom (the only room with air conditioning) and make things. I didn't appreciate it then, and I wish that I would have. Thanks for reminding me. Much love.

    ReplyDelete